Wednesday, July 02, 2008

flew the coop


this was the scene last week on our front porch. a week or so ago i went to throw out that dreadful looking plant and a female song bird just about pecked my eyes out. i didn't realize there was a family in there.
the other day i was walking by the door and noticed they were moving out.
meanwhile t2's been with my parents while tayloe and i get moved in. we've been up until midnight the last two nights finishing up projects that would otherwise take weeks with a toddler on our heels. who knew working so hard could be so much fun.
the only trouble is, it's getting harder and harder for me to do really simple stuff, like bend over to pick something up. when i drop something, i honestly stand there and look at it for a few minutes, like if i stare long enough it'll spring back into my hands.
getting on and off the floor with any grace is a challenge, too. last week i took little tayloe to a magic show at the library. it was crammed packed and the only place to sit was this tiny little space on the floor. i either stepped on or knocked over every kid in that place trying to sit down. it was like moses parting the waters. when we finally got to the spot, the only way i could figure to get on the floor was to just drop down. and so i did. and the earth shook.
40 minutes later when it was over, i had to wait for everyone else to leave the room before i could get up, partially because i didn't want anyone to watch what was sure to be an episode (nothing as attractive as a pregnant lady on all fours in public) and partially because it honestly took that long for me to regain feeling in my legs and feet.

2 comments:

Ginny Gill said...

I can so relate. I remember when I was pregnant with Bear and I was teaching school. I had to have all the boys help pull m up after reading group each day. I also warned all in the class that once Mrs. Gill was down, there would be no getting up until all things that could be done from the floor were done. They really got a kick out of it..... Imagine 6-7 7 year olds pulling a 9 month prego woman up from the floor. NOT a pretty image.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but in the water you float very gracefully. It's like a gazelle, in an innertube.